Zuki's Cashewnut Pate
This recipe is not exact, and changes all the time according to whim and what's in the cupboard and fridge, so experiment.
With careful overseeing if the use of a hand blender and grinder, kids can easily make this, giving them an early introduction into no-recipe food preparation.
Can't find what your looking for? Search all of the ActiVeg Network recipes.
- a handful or two of cashew nuts (more if you have very small hands!)
- a sprinkle of dehulled hemp seeds if you have some
- fresh herbs (such as basil, parsley and coriander) and/or vegan pesto
- half a pack of tofu or a small ripe avocado
- 1 medium tomato and/or a few lettuce leaves
- freshly ground black pepper
- soya milk
- grind the nuts to a powder
- with a hand blender, blend the nuts with the other ingredients, slowly adding the soya milk to make the desired consistency, with more for a sauce and less for a pate, until rich and creamy in texture
- blend in anything extra you think is needed
- serve cool and fresh with salad, bread, rice cakes, pasta, rice, chips or whatever
Zuki aged 8 makes this all by herself. She's a careful sort.
Buy the fresh ingredients at a fruit and veg stall to make it much it much cheaper than from a supermarket. Nuts are cheapest in bulk and/or from an Asian food supermarket, such as along the Oxford Road in Reading.
- Difficulty: Kids
- Preparation: No Cook
- Provides: 4 servings
- Yields: small to medium bowl of pate
- Vegginess:: Vegan
- Preparation: 15 minutes
- Total: 15 minutes
This recipe was reproduced with the kind permission of.